Thursday, January 24, 2008

School Daze

"Volume of a Cone equals Pi x r² x h over 3 .
Pyramid V = A x h over 3.
Sphere V = 4 x Pi x r³ over 3.
Does anyone see any similarities?" The air in the classroom had been scooped out of a million yawns. The dust motes languid as the afternoon strolled on.

"Over three., that’s correct..", though no one had replied, out of the stupor induced by lunch. The door swept the worn but raised arc of the carpet as Breezy came in, her eyes wide open. Mr. Chas said, "Go ahead and put your heads down on your desks and just relax for a few minutes. He walked over to the door, stepped through and pulled it mostly too. "What’s up?"

She draws him closer, whispering, "There’s a map for the treasure, really. They’ve got it over at the library. I can’t believe it, You know how rich we’re gonna be?! I can finally get a new car, and a new wardrobe, a vacation.."

Mr Chas was hearing small giggles and rustlings, they were comatose just thirty seconds ago.
"Okay, Breezy, thanks for the news. Duty calls.."

"The principal wants to see you in his office. Like now.. I’m supposed to watch your class for you..."

"Alright, but first, I don’t want you to let them get to worked up. This is science not circus. And don’t tell them about the treasure. Let them find out at home..? Right?"
She nods and they go in to explain the change in schedule.

In the office.
The principal is standing looking out the north window looking at the peak in question. He had pulled the blinds to the ceiling, letting his words bounce off the glass. Mr Chas, who now felt the soporific of afternoon seated, he shook himself as he heard the tone, question, first part missed..
"Well? How much do you think it’s worth?"

"That would be difficult to say since we haven’t found it."

"Yet, Yet, Not Yet!" Mr Chas thought the principal sounded like a cheerleader on steroids, in a losing cause.

"Alright., not yet. Shall we cancel school until we do?"

"No, no of course not..."

"What’s the rest of it Clem?"

"Well I thought I might.. Well, I might take a few days off.. I mean if you thought you guys could get along without me..? I’ll make it up to you..."

"Alright.", is what Mr Chas said, and behind his neutral visiage, thinking, "at last a break" and I should really give poker a try.

"What do you mean alright?"

"Alright. You can make it up to me.."

The principal was headed out the door, saying, "I will, I’ll make it up to you. If my wife calls tell her I got called across the valley on district business. See ya next week."

When Mr Chas got back to his rowdy classroom the first question they asked him was, "What are you gonna buy?"

"Okay Breezy, you had better get back to the office. Somebody is going to need to monitor the phone. Alright Class! You can all hunt treasure in one hour and forty seven minutes, at three o’clock. Back to volumes..."

No comments: