Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year Promises

I thought about heartbeats and a number of the descriptions I had for them, the blacksmith's steady hammer toiling with the reluctant iron. I longed for the pure scent of linen being worked with steam and heat. I looked across the room and within my view the face and physique that were like a lever prying on a bracket that held my heart in place, but it also felt like it was singing from a morning branch, I looked away without getting caught. Spring was coming but my heart went unanswered. The days were getting longer but the nights were not getting any shorter...

We had gathered again at the Cosmologist's house. I had started calling it the 'Announcement House', like one of those houses between the worlds sort of thing. [you know the metaphysical bridge, A large house with a porch and the windows lit up, but all around is only dark] But back to the lecture. We were all seated comfortably and everyone had tea. Some had chai, some had green but Cosmole liked his tea with milk and lemon.

"I think of it as a metaphor, we are adding time to our clocks and calenders, the Time gardener grafting on a day here and there and sowing leap seconds. Oh yes there are leaps seconds thrown in every year..."

"Remember the timekeepers are not measuring historic Time, they are measuring basically only one interval, the second... Because we live in a techno world and all of our gadgets use frequency. At the level of interaction we have, with everything that uses discreet portions of the electro magnetic spectrum; all the cell phones for instance, but that is still only a small part of the overall. This means that the use of frequencies has to be very finely tuned, to prevent overlap, what you call static."

I thought about heartbeats, a very low frequency indeed...
"Oh, no more for me thanks."

2 comments:

Phlutor said...

What beautiful language! You've captured the longing and hesitancy of this very fragile time of year so well...this blog is an undiscovered treasure. Thank you!

New Gen Energy said...

Nice photos for leapyear. and i love what vincent saw...